Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's on the label

I often find myself checking a bottle of wine for it's alcohol content. It has become a bit of an obsession with me! I think part of it is that we have learned to pay attention to labels and ingredients as we are all trying to watch what we put in our bodies. There is a general focus on health and well being and I for one, welcome this way of thinking. I like to think about what I am consuming and I know my body pretty well...I know to stay away from fried foods (they just make me feel bloated), and I also know that even thought I love red meat, it is not a good thing to have every day! Paying attention to the amount of alcohol in the bottle of wine and how it might effect the flavor, and my brain, is part of the overall experience. After all, alcohol content is as much a part of a wine's identity as the vintage and grape varietal. It seems that a lot of the new world wines have a higher percentage of alcohol and that might not always be a bad thing, although there are times when the alcohol just takes over and you are left with wine that is overpowering. The alcohol in any given wine is given as a numerical percentage by volume and is required by law to be present on every wine bottle label, sometimes you have to look really hard, but it is there! Not surprisingly, there are profound differences between wines that are 12% and 15% alcohol. I am sure that you have experienced opening a bottle of Zinfandel and as you raise the glass to taste the fumes coming up from the glass might have given you the impression that your eyebrows were on fire...well, that has a lot to do with a high alcohol level. Some of the contributing factors are brix (sugar content), hang time, and improved yeasts, among others. Each winemaker has the challenge to completely balance the natural elements, earth, rain, sun, with his or her personal contributions to the wine making process. We are fortunate to have very good conditions for grapes here in California, long, sunny growing seasons are big contributing factors and are but one thread in the patchwork that gives a wine it's identity! Every region has it's own 'style' and it is a challenge for the winemaker to balance alcohol percentages with flavors. Some would say that at lower alcohol levels a wine tastes more savory...but as usual this all comes down to a matter of individual taste! Everyone's palate is different and their tolerance to alcohol is different. I like wines that make a statement and wines that fulfill the mood. They can be elegant, soft, or big and full bodied! But I do quietly register the % of alcohol in each bottle I consume as it does matter to me and is part of my total wine experience!

Here are some comparisons of wines and their alcohol content:

Iron Horse 2008 UnOaked Green Valley Chardonnay $26.00
13.8% Alcohol - Mineral and Mandarin orange notes.


La Crema 2008 Russian River Valley Chardonnay $30.00
14.3% Alcohol - Apple and Pear on the nose...Butterscotch and spice finish.



Fritz Winery Estate Grown 2006 Zinfandel $25.00
14.5% Alcohol - Rich color and aromas of blackberries and spice.

Seghesio Home Ranch Zinfandel 2008 $36.00
15.5% Alcohol - Lush boysenberries and blackberries with spice.



Arbios 2005 Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon $30.00
13.6% Alcohol - Aromas of violets, raspberry and plum.

Geyser Peak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon $47.00
14.5% Alcohol - Berry and cassis with hints of smoke and vanilla.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A factoid i learnt is French can consume larger quantities of wine cuz their wines generally have less alcohol than Californians..Stevie..i love your writing style.. xo

Wilson Cotton said...

aI agree. I have real difficulties trying to find bottled beers with a moderate alcohol content. Fortunately some of the small regional brewers recognise that discerning customers drink for enjoyment rather than to get legless.

Generally the cheaper and crappier the beer, the higher the alcoholic content. It is no wonder that the young of today seem set on re-enacting the third crusade in our high streets most Saturday nights.

As for Cider, finding something with an alcoholic content of less than 6%, forget it.